- Orange Belt Requirements
Orange Belt Written Test
TIME IN GRADE: _____(Hours total training time since last promotion)
Attach a seperate sheet of paper with your answers on it.
1. Explain the roots of Aikijujitsu development.
2. Under what conditions is lethal force justified, with or without a weapon?
3. What is the "critical angle of entry" of Aikijujitsu applications to Judo throws.
4. Explain the importance of circular theory in Ju-Jitsu and Aikijujitsu.
5. Name 3 philosophical tenets of the Aikijujitsu practitioner, briefly explain.
Orange Belt Mat Test Requirements
The following techniques are required prior to receiving advancement to Yellow belt:
SCORES ARE GRADED 1-7. 7 IS PERFECT EXECUTION
O...Unable to execute 2...Very awkward 3... Barely effective 4...Effective 5...Good
6...very good, fluid 7...Jujitsu as an art
Strikes: (Karate and Juijitsu based)
- Hammer fist
- Double hammer fist
- Thumb strike
- Eagle claw (pressure point grab left and right hand)
- Slashing Eagle claw
- Single knuckle strike or knuckle press (to pressure point area) Gingitzu
- Over-under hand trap
- Kick jam (soccer style kick)
- One hand blocks two concept (advancing and retreating)
- Monkey block/grab - (right and left side block
and grab should be able to be performed with or without Gi)
- One point Kneeling position (left and right side)
- Two point kneeling position (execution must exhibit
balance against standing or kneeling attacks)
- The mount (grappling arts/newaza)
- The guard (grappling arts/newaza)
- Over and under hold/hook (grappling arts/newaza)
- Double under hold/hook (grappling arts/newaza)
- At this level of training all break falls should be able to be preformed proficiently from a harsh, unannounced manner.
- Break falls should also be able to be performed while jumping over low obstacles (training partner on all fours).
Kicks: performed left and right side
- Soccer defensive kick (kick jamming)
- Soccer offensive kick (nerve and joint point attacks)
- Hip fake back reverse side kick (performed left and right)
- Right (lead foot) inside crescent/ right defensive side kick
- Left (lead foot) inside crescent/ left defensive side kick
- Step slide front kick/front roundhouse/ offensive side kick
- Right defensive front kick/ left back inside crescent/left defensive side kick
Self defense techniques (Juiitsu and Aikido based) :
- Wrist press from a 1 point and 2 point kneeling position.
- Nikkyo wrist lock( from a 1 handed or 2 handed grab) with transition into ude gatame arm bar followed by take down of uke(face down while maintaining the straight arm bar) with knee pin to the tricep then shoulder. This is performed from a 1 point kneeling position as well as 2 point kneeling position.
- Morote-zuki is the defense that is utilized when a person uses a two handed thrust with a medium to large stick/staff. This technique ends with the person being thrown and you retaining the offensive weapon (use of diagonal tai-sabaki movement is essential)
- Inside Mae-geri defense (front kick defense)- This defense utilizes Osoto-gari style leag reaping take down ending with a groin stomp
- Inside Mawashi-geri defense (roundhouse kick defense)
This defense utilizes Osoto-gari style leag reaping take down ending with a groin stomp
Judo Throws (Tachi-Waza): Proficiency right and left side
- Uki-otoshi - Floating drop throw (hand technique)
- Morote-gari - Two arm clip (hand technique)
- Uchimata - Thigh throw (hip technique)
- Hane-Goshi - Springing hip throw (hip technique)
- Ashi-Guruma - Leg whirl (leg whirl)
- Tomoe Nage - Stomach throw
- Harai-Goshi - Hip Sweep
- Drop throw/cheekbone strike (this is a derivative technique of Ippon-Seoi-Nage in which tori drops to one knee while performing the throw. This technique is used when someone attempts a choke hold from the rear). Finishing blow is a palm heel strike to the cheekbone or chinbone.
- Basic hand throw/ wrist or elbow snap submission (this
technique is used with an advancing weapon or fist using kotegaeishi followed by ude-gatame against your knee while attacker is on the ground).
- Outer sweeping hip throw - (this throw is a variation of Harai-Goshi in which attacker attempts two blows with
hands which are blocked and one arm of the attacker is tucked and pinned between your back and his body).
- Corkscrew knife defense/throw (defender X-blocks and steps to inside with overhand turning and screwing motion in order to execute the throw on the attacker)
- Armbar winding throw/armbar submission - this is executed when attacker grabs you with one hand and attempts to strike you with the other. The armbar (ude garame) is performed on the striking arm and this arm is retained in lock throughout the entire technique. You will end in a 1 point stance while cranking the arm.
Strangulation techniques (Shime Waza):
-Hadaka-jime - Naked Lock ( gi and no gi use)
-Okuri-eri-jime -Sliding collar lock
-Kata-ha-jime - Single-wing lock
-Harai-goshi, move uke on stomach and perform ude gatame pin) with knee on tricep then shoulder/lift arm and perform wrist press with straight arm bar/perform nikkyo in 2 point stance position
Hane-goshi/Kesa-gatame/Kata-gatame/Kuzure-kesa-gatame/Yoko-shiho-gatame/yoshiro-gatame/kami-shiho-gatame- Transition to other side of body and perform - Yoshiro-gatame/Yoko-shiho-gatame/Kuzure-kesa gatame/Kata-
This Kata (number 4) covers almost all of the BASIC hold downs/pins in groundwork. LEARN IT WELL.
This knowledge is indispensable in order for you to learn your grappling basics. These moves are your building blocks to higher skilled levels of grappling moves.
1. Passive mode
2. Active mode
3. Lethal mode
1. Empty hand vs. empty hand
2. Empty hand vs. knife
3. Knife vs. knife (must show concepts of blocks, traps, inserts and passes)
When you think you have arrived, it is a sign that your journey is only beginning.
Humility through humiliation is a very painful lesson. Humbleness of character prevents this.